With the help of Industry organization such as MAIT and manufacturing industry, DOT (Department of Telecommunication) has released the below clarification dated 27th Oct 2022 in regard to recently released Amendment Rule, 2022 on the prevention of tampering of the Mobile Device Equipment Identification Number.
As per the request and suggestions on the said Amendment Rule, below are the highlights of the clarification by DOT. Please click this link to check clarification letter.
- Currently ICDR (Indian Counterfeited Device Restriction) portal is designed for the importers to register IMEI number of Mobile Phones importing in India. However DOT has been requested to update the portal for local manufacturers of Mobile Phone as well as per the latest amendment rule.
- The ICDR portal should be robust and capable to ensure 24×7 operations. Also, it was requested to have dry runs before actual implementation of the portal.
- There should be updated SOP/user manual released by DOT for smooth execution of registration of IMEI numbers of Mobile phone.
- Contact details of concern officer should be published over ICDR portal so that applicant can reach out to them in case of any concerns or issues.
- Industry need to generate IMEI certificates for locally manufactured Mobile devices however same not need to be shared with government authorities till further notice.
- Individual user does not require to generate IMEI certificates in ICRDR portal if mobile device (new/used) are being carried out along with them as them being passenger or is same is imported for repair and return.
- DOT clarified that issuance of IMEI certificate of Mobile devices is required for import and export purpose. However Industry organization has requested DOT to remove the requirement of IMEI certificate for Export purpose. Final decision for DOT is awaited.
Hope the above information is helpful and please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected] for any further clarifications.